5.23.2008

Little Pepper...Back in the Game


***RESULTS***

Overall: 1:26:36 1st in age group, 5th overall
Swim: 10:49 1st in age group, 3rd overall
Bike: 49:25 1st in age group, 5th overall
Run: 23:02 1st in age group, 20th overall

***PRERACE***

After a late night and fun at my sister's GW graduation ceremony/dinner...I woke up and headed out to Culpeper, VA for Lil Pepper Sprint Triathlon about 5am on Sunday morning. The drive over was pretty uneventful..a coffee stop and 2 bathroom stops (yes, it was only a 90 minute drive). Mary and Steph caught me on the road and I tagged along behind them for the rest of the way. It was about 62 degrees...a bit on the chilly side. ehh. Got everything together and headed to packet/chip pick-up. I was asked if I was an Athena or something else. I was confused. Saw a lot of familiar faces...this was going to be fun. Then went to set up transition. I was ready by 715am..race was not to start until 8am...ughh too much idle time. I mingled with friends and started to get anxious. Mary could sense my nerves and came over for a pep talk. "KATIE...this is what we know...this is what we do best...and on a normal basis...this is FUN!" I smiled and said "I know, I just have not really done this whole deal in a long time...once I get this first one over with I am good." I love Mary D. :)

***RACE***

SWIM - Got my full sleeve wetsuit on and headed over to wait for the start. Found Justina and Jeff and hung with them till it was time to go. Justina and I were in the same wave (35 and under females...YES, pink caps). We waded in the water and positioned in front as the wave in front of us went. It was kinda deep and mushy...YUCK...and COLD. Cripes. Then it was GO. I swam fast to get away from the ladies behind me. I battled with a girl on my right for maybe 100 yards and then I was out in the lead and did not see anyone. I tried to settle into a rhythm. It was really cold. They said the water was 70...felt like low 60s to me. I was able to settle into a rhythm and felt pretty good. About half way I started catching up the the previous wave of 35 and under males. My face was feeling numb and cold...so I swam faster to get out of there. I rounded the last turn...swam to shore and ran into T1. Fun being the 1st in my wave out of the water!

T1 - Got the wetsuit off fast but then could not get my shirt on. Finally was all set and off on my bike. Went without arm warmers or leg warmers. Slow transition.

BIKE - The bike course happened to be somewhat hilly...it was good. My legs felt somewhat stale and I had a hard time staying warm and settling into a good pace. I passed some more guys. I was still in my groups lead and started to get worried about ladies coming up from behind....felt like I was weaving all over the place...it was windy. There were no mile markers in site anywhere and my computer is busted...I had no idea how fast/how much longer and I had not worn a watch. Finally asked someone and he said 1/2 more mile! Great...I busted it to the end. 1st in my group into T2...but I cold see someone behind me. Now the run.

RUN - So I had decided to wear the Newtons. I got them in February..wore them for the 1st time then and had a hard time walking for about a week after. They really force you into forefoot running, which puts a lot of pressure onto your calves. However, they were FAST and once I got more accustomed to forefoot running...the best way to go for me as forefoot running seems to cause less pounding and pressure into my hips. Since I had worn them I knew what it felt like to forefoot run and have been slowly transitioning to running that way in my Asics. I was maybe 80% forefoot running lately. So I decided to wear them. As I started off I noticed my right toes were totally numb...weird. Maybe my shoes were too tight. I stopped for a second to loosen the laces. I was off to VERY slow start..this might be ugly. A girl passed me. Boo. Then I started to feel really good...like I was prancing...the Newtons are AWESOME. Then I even passed some people and picked up speed. On the way back I felt like I had too much energy and pushed it all the way to the finish. I had finished somewhere between maybe 3rd and 5th. After I finished the girl who had passed me, Alex, came up to say Congrats. She was really cool...hopefully our paths cross again. She thought I was endurance runner. :) Hopefully soon.

***POSTRACE***

After the race hung out and talked to everyone. Julie Clark completed her 1st race...she was smiling...I am really proud of her. She did AWESOME. Only good things to come. Then I started to feel nauseated. I sat down...then my eyes started feeling strange...oh wow...maybe a migraine coming on. I went to the car to get my sunglasses (even though it was very overcast) and as I was walking yes for sure a migraine. Julie was coming back and I told her I was going to leave. UGHH hopefully I would be OK driving home. I just wanted to get home and shower and lay down. I had my prescription with me...took one and hoped the spots would go away. The did shortly...but my vision was still off and then another one came on. GEEZ...this was the worst. Somehow I managed to get home. I felt like a mess but I was so happy with my race.

***LESSONS LEARNED***

-Start working on heart rate training and be more aware of my times.
-Start out a bit faster on the run...I always seem to have to much steam left at the end.
-Work on the mental state. Migraine during/after a race...2nd time this has happened. They always seem to happen as a stress relief. I do think I can relax now that I have got that 1st race BACK IN THE GAME over with...

Up Next: Lake Placid training/fun trip May 29, 2008, Eagleman June 8, 2008

No comments: